Old February 11th, 2006, 10:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default art auctions

"Tom K" wrote in message

Original doesn't mean masterpiece or great artist.

There are many artists who paint wonderful pieces at affordable prices.
They even use the sales to pay mortgages, buy food for their families,
etc.

You don't need to spend millions or even thousands to get a nice original
piece. And it's not made in some sweat shop art factory ten thousand
copies at a time.

The same couple hundred bucks you might spend on a ship can buy an
original from a local gallery.

--Tom

Whatever "art" I had in the house my wife and I shared I gave to my daughter
and replaced it with movie posters.

When I moved here in 1988 I did my living room in original pastels by
unknown artists and one by a guy named Reynolds, whose drawing of a horse
was bought by my wife in 1958 and now hangs in my kid's apartment.

The den and hallway are Disney classic posters, a Disney cell, and the only
thing I have that might be of value, an original MGM poster for "That's
Entertainment", and a signed poster by the stars of "Chaplin"..

My bedroom is stuff I bought from the Smithsonian when Danni lived in
Washington.

My point is that art is and should be in the eye of the beholder. If you
like it, and it fits, then buy it.

Making this post "on topic", I have seen art on ships that I would have
brought into my home if I had the room.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ