Old February 14th, 2008, 12:05 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Default Eastern Usa- Canada

Mark Brader wrote:
J. Clarke:
Now, turns out that (at least according to National) there's a
gotcha. Apparently for some reason known only to the Canadian
legislature, a Canadian citizen can't drive across the US-Canada
border in a US-registered rental car ...

That's wrong -- as correctly stated elsewhere in the thread, the
rule
applies to Canadian residents, not citizens. It's a customs issue.

It's only "wrong" if it doesn't apply to citizens.

Some years ago I was told by a rental company that it actually did
not
apply if the car was taken into Canada and dropped off at the first
convenient point, or something like that. In particular, that it
was
permissible enter via I-5, drive as far as Vancouver, and return the
car promptly there. I make no assertion that this is generally
true,
or even that it was really legal then.

According to both National and Alamo the car gets siezed at the
border.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)