Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

Default the Csango country: a black hole in the guidebooks

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
I have been trying to find out something about the Csango region of
Romania (a small part of northern Moldavia which has been ethnically
Hungarian since the 18th century and still preserves some archaic
features of Hungarian culture, in particular some interesting music).
It seems to be unknown to any recent guidebook. Anybody know a source
that describes it properly, with features named in both Hungarian and
Romanian?

There's a fair bit of info at http://www.tanchaz.hu (for the music and
dance camps I was thinking of going to) and http://www.csango.ro , and
stuff on YouTube (good source for Romanian nationalist raving), but not
the basic geographic data I was looking for - which villages are in the
Csango area, what their names are in both Hungarian and Romanian, and
how to travel around.

I think what I might be looking for is a detailed travel book by some
English eccentric who spent a year wandering round it with a donkey in
the 1930s describing all the peasant girls he bonked. You doubtless
know the genre.

I see National Geographic covered it in June 2005. The full article is
subscription-only so I'll look for a paper copy.

Here are a few more links about the Csángós / Ceangai which I've found:-

http://www.hi.is/~maurizio/csango/englishnew.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cs%C3%A1ng%C3%B3

http://horinca.blogspot.com/2007/08/...ian-csngs.html

www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/tanczos/tanczos.pdf