Old October 22nd, 2004, 06:39 PM
JohnM

In article , Peter
writes
In article , JohnM says...
Now I don't know if I should include Stewart Island and especially the
Chathams. Point is, I am interested in the Moriori and all that. Have
you been to the Chathams, Peter?

Let me just say that I wish I had the time and money for such a trip!
That's a good leisurely, thorough way to do it, short of doing the
backpacker thing and working your way around the country. I cover the
whole lot in 14 days, but then I like driving, and New Zealand has some
wonderful, uncrowded roads.

Incidentally, I don't intend to drive (that's how I will save the
money). I will be going mostly by bus or even backpacker bus (if I
must). I may on occasion rent a car. I will be alone and I am not happy
driving alone in remote areas. Do you think I will lose a lot by not
driving?

I haven't been to Stewart Island or the Chathams. Both are pretty much
off the tourist trail. Stewart has a few tourists, but it's more time
and more expense to get there, and not a lot to see or do on arrival.
Comparitively, that is. Chathams more so.

Yes, I know :-(

BUT

A rtn flight to the Chathams in only $240 NZ dollars and I can have a
flight from Wellington on a Mon and to Auckland on a Thu. Spend three
days there and see the Moriori dendroglyphs. I think I'll be bored, but
what is the cost of a flight Wellington-Auckland?

The alternative, is, of course, to do Wangarei, Taranaki and Waikato on
the way from Wellington to Auckland. Oh, the dilemma!

I suppose that is what you'd do, wouldn't you?

--
JohnM