Old September 21st, 2007, 12:37 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Janet Wilder

Default Electricity Question

kangaroo16 wrote:
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:28:45 +0930, "John H"
wrote in
:

Hi Janet,
Cairns like rest of Australia is 240 volts US is 110 volts.
SO if your appliance is shown as multi voltage ie 110 - 240 then all you
will need is an adapter plug to go from US two round pin horizontally in
line TO the Australian 3 pin.

Essentially correct, but US voltage is a nominal 110-220 volts
RMS at 60 Hertz [ cycle] , and uses a non polarized plug with
two vertical flat pins.

| |

Australia is a nominal 220-240 volt, 50 Hertz, uses a three pin
polarized plug with two angled flat plugs for active and neutral,
and a longer flat pin for a safety earth or "ground" in US.

/ \

Lots of chargers are multi voltage so you may indeed be OK for the voltage
situation
Have a look at this site for the plug shape
http://www.accesscomms.com.au/Reference/powerplug.htm

If you cant buy an adaptor in US then you should be able to buy one in
Cairns (at least at the airport if not the town).regards
John H

I would agree with the "should be able to", but that doesn't mean
you actually "will be able to" :-) It might be more convenient
and probably cheaper to buy one in the USA.

Some tourists seem to assume that an "adaptor" plug changes the
voltage, which it doesn't. Make sure the power supply on the
appliance you intend to use has a switch to change the voltage
from 240 volts to 120 volts, and remember to switch to proper
voltage before plugging it in!

Have heard of tourists forgetting to switch an electric razor to
the 220-240 volt range then trying to use it. The results can
be both spectacular and hazardous.

Admittedly, this probably happens more often when someone
assumes the voltage is the same in Australia and the US and
simply bends the blades of a US appliance at an angle to fit
an Australian outlet. This is not advisable.

So what if Janet's charger doesn't have a voltage change switch?
In that case, she would have to find an adapter that includes a
transformer, or buy a 240 volt charger to charge her batteries at
the proper low voltage and polarity.

Am sure if she takes her charger down to a camera store in the
USA, or checks the net, she can get more info.

I don't expect that US tourists would bring a portable TV set on
a trip, but if so, it won't work in Australia. The US uses the
obsolete NTSC standard rather than PAL used here. Channel
allocations are also different.

If bringing a mobile phone, they should check if it will work
here.

Incidentally, on a different topic, currency rates constantly
change. Radio news at 7.08 AM here says that due to loss of
value in US$ it is on a par with Canadian dollar for the first
time in 30 years. As to Aussie dollar:

At the moment
Live rates at 2007.09.20 21:13:37 UTC
1.00 USD 1.16020 AUD
United States Dollars Australia Dollars
1 USD = 1.16020 AUD 1 AUD = 0.861921 USD
http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

Cheers,
kangaroo16
[I usually post on misc.immigration Australia+ NZ.]

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
Will I need an electricity adapter in Cairns and at Ayers Rock to plug in
my battery charger for the rechargeable batteries for my camera? The
charger is United States-flavor electric.

TIA

I'm rather electrically challenged but I think I managed to figure
things out.

I looked at my charger. It has 2 plugs. It will work off 12V, like a
lighter in an automobile with the sausage-shaped plug and regular
electricity with one of those boxy converter plugs. The "input" is 120V
AC, 60Hz 13W and "output" 12V DC 500mA. It does not have a "voltage
switch" I bought it in WalMart two years ago with 4 rechargeable
batteries for under $20, so I wouldn't expect it would be so fancy.

I don't think my charger will work even with an adapter. I'd best bring
extra batteries (assuming the TSA will let me pack them g)

We only spend 6 days on land in Australia then we go on a cruise ship to
sail to Melbourne then over to New Zealand for a sail around the
islands. I know from prior cruises that the charger will work aboard ship.

Thank you all for your help. Having enough extra batteries will assure
me that I'll be able to take many pictures of Australia.

Janet

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation