Old February 24th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Graham W

Default African Doctors

Oh dear, you're in a huff now because I don't value citizenship and
ceremonies and fancy certificates which change nothing.

Raffi Balmanoukian wrote:
They change a great deal. If, as you have stated, you are neither
Australian nor want to be, you shouldn't be there. You live in a
country which has educated you, provided you with a job, medical care,
and so on (yes, you pay taxes - the absolute minimum you can get away
with, apparently, since part of your citizenship objection is the cost
of obtaining it).

I'm sorry, I didn't realise genuine patriotic Australians volunteer to
pay extra taxes. Clearly I am not worthy.

You live in a country that values its people - your comment
above reflects the value you put on it.

No it doesn't.

It reflects the value I place on citizenship, not on Australia.

I am a citizen of two other countries, one of which I lived in until I
was five, the other of which I have visited for a total of perhaps 4
weeks of my life. My home is Australia, and I don't need a certificate
from the government to prove it.

Let's face it, it wouldn't prove anything anyway, any more than a
marriage licence proves spouses won't stray, since all I have to do is
pay my money and say the right things.