Old January 19th, 2013, 01:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Following in Pausanias' footsteps?

On 2013-01-17 09:45:52 -0600, Poetic Justice said:

Dan*Stephenson wrote;

...but I know not all the places he
references are still visit-able, either they
are gone or practically inaccessable. I
cannot find something that quite covers
this. Can anyone make a recommendation
for research?

I know exactly what you are looking for but I don't know if it is still
online.
Maybe it's just me and I couldn't find it so give it a shot yourself.

10+years ago there was an official Greek website possibly put out by the
'Hellenic Ministry of Culture'?
Which as you can see here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministr...ourism_(Greece)
has merged and disassembled and merged since 2009.
So it might have been lost in the shuffle?

That old website gave you 3 choices Archaeological Sites, Museums and
Monuments thru-out Greece.

So say you clicked 'Archaeological Sites', it would then give you an A-Z
option.
Click 'R', scroll to 'Rhamnous' and click, it would then give a brief
description, location, opening dates and time, etc.

Perhaps somewhere it is still out there either achived or updated or
under a different Gov't branch?

This looks like a possibility but I can't get the 'Interactive Culture
Map Of Greece' to work for me?
http://odysseus.culture.gr/index_en.html Regards, Walter

Aha, I think this is it

http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/eh23.jsp

I didn't see Epidaurus Limera or Zaraz offhand, but, it is still a good
resource.

I like to make a thorough research up front, so the trip itself is
laid-back. This looks helpful.

Another "following Pausanias" question is: how long? I visted a lot of
Greece back in my 2009 trip, but it was not as comprehensive as
Pausanias. Would 3 months do it? Hmm.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com