Old November 6th, 2003, 05:20 AM
The Wests

Default Naples, Sorrento, Sicily

2 - All the travel guides (and posters here) recommend staying in
Sorrento and just taking a day trip to Naples. But it looks like the
sights I want to see in Naples will take at least three days. I
realize Naples is crowded, bustling, and (allegedly) crime-ridden, but
is it REALLY such a bad idea to stay there? I could stay in Naples,
e.g., 5 days, seeing Naples and Cumae, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Vesuvius
-- then move on to Sorrento to stay for several more days, seeing
Sorrento, Capri and other islands, Positano and the Amalfi Coast, and
Paestum. It just seems that would be better than trying to do
EVERYTHING out of Sorrento, spending a lot of time commuting to
Naples, missing Naples nightlife, etc.....

We were in Naples. It is hectic but be cautious.

Check out the Campania Artecard (English link on left). We got a the
three day pass which included transportation in Naples. You might
consider the 7 day which would cover transportation to the big
archaeological sites.
http://www.campaniartecard.it/

One small restaurant you might try is Cantina della Sapienza, via della
Sapienza 40. Lunch only. Cheap, about 15 Euros. No credit.
Time Out says it is the nearest thing to Neapolitan home cooking you
will find in a restaurant. Good food, friendly, small. Near the hospital.

Lots to see in Naples. Enjoy!

Frances
Toronto, Canada