Old November 6th, 2003, 01:03 PM

Default Naples, Sorrento, Sicily

In article ,
(Terryo) wrote:

it looks like the
sights I want to see in Naples will take at least three days. I
realize Naples is crowded, bustling, and (allegedly) crime-ridden, but
is it REALLY such a bad idea to stay there?

Not at all. Naples may be a little rougher round the edges
(metaphorically, not geographically!) than some Italian cities but it's
hardly the den of cut-throats that its reputation suggests. The area
around Piazza Garibaldi is a bit dubious; other parts of the city centre
are as chic as you like.

We stayed earlier this year at the Pension Pinto-Storey, 72 Via G.
Martucci, in one such area. I heartily recommend it (friendly, big
attractively-furnished rooms, good breakfast, convenient location) with
one caveat: you mentioned nightlife, and this pensione has effectively a
curfew (midnight if I recall correctly), because it has no night staff
and is in a mixed-use building for which they can't give guests keys.

You mentioned some archaeological sites too. In Naples, don't miss the
Museo Archeologico Nazionale (national archaeological museum,
unsurprisingly) - you should allow a half day for this. I *think* the
ticket lets you go out and in again but don't quote me on that.