Old January 7th, 2013, 02:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

Default Delphi, Greece Top Three Travel Experiences? Ummm.......

Dan*Stephenson wrote;

I think I would agree, that Winter in
Greece sounds very appealing.
Temperature is right,...

It was alot colder than I like that January and I'm a cold weather
person.

...crowds such as they are, are minimized,
and if overcast -- great!

In my 3* hotel in Delphi the 1st night it was a couple and myself, the
2nd night only me.
And it snowed the day I left.

I also had Olympia, Mycenae and Tyrns pretty much to myself in the
morning at opening.

What were your other favorate places in
Greece?

I lived outside of Athens (the last town before Marathon) for 2 yrs in
the early 70's when I was 19.

So the Acropolis and other ruins were part of the city you eventually
don't even look at when passing-by.

I've gone back twice (99 & 00) older and wiser and did Athens and the
Peloponese and a few other sites.

My favorite and it's mentioned in this thread http://tinyurl.com/9wusrg5
which we both took part in.
Is when Socrates' Prison in the Agora was off the beaten track,
unmarked, open and not visited.
And then standing in that exact location and playing out his final
scene in my mind.

I'm very much more into Rome's history and putting a human interest
story at a site or location makes it come alive for me. Regards, Walter