Old June 20th, 2006, 03:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Default Frontier Airlines and Peanuts??

"James Robinson" wrote ...
"-L." wrote:

It doesn't matter what they tell you. I flew American a few weeks ago,
and was ASSURED that no peanuts had been seved on their fligts for
YEARS. Well, we sat down (first class) and I'll be damned if they
didn't set an entire BOWL full of nuts down in front of us.

American doesn't serve peanuts, and haven't for years. They were one of
the
first to stop, after United. They do serve other kinds of nuts, though,
like almonds and cashews.

Not that L. would know the difference or care, "peanuts" are "nuts" in name
only, somewhat different than "nut" nuts....

So incensed was I by the airlines dropping peanuts that now I bring my own
(along with the occasional peanut butter sandwich) , carefully noting those
around me who fall into anaphylactic shock and are removed from the aircraft
on arrival covered with a blanket. There's nothing like a bag of San
Antonio "Hot Nuts" or a sammitch on whole wheat with a thick layer of Jif
Chunky and a dollop or two of mayhaw jelly to bring out the peanut
allergies, real and imagined. A good thick tunafish with chopped red onions
will almost guarantee empty seats nearby, while pickled herring, kimchi,
nuoc mam and several examples of garlic-laden salume can clear a row. It's
tough to get a durian aboard, but curried banana chips or the Malay shrimp
paste are fine alternatives.

I'm terribly sorry for any child (and his/her parents) who has serious
problems with allergies, but the current presumption of "protecting" the
sufferer by banishing products is intolerable. A "reformed" nicotine addict
after 40+ year of 2 packs a day, and not without occasional continued
cravings, I could not accept "banning" smoking in outdoor environments
simply to protect folks from a whiff of 'baccy fumes. Hell, watching girl's
rear ends and smoking cigarets formed the raison d'etre for sidewalk cafes.

A procedural note.... If traveling in a window seat and the occupant of the
aisle seat passes away during the flight, is it proper crawl across the
sprawled decedent or to wait for the remains to be removed before attempting
to debark? What about making a quick connection?

TMO