Old October 4th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Barbara Vaughan

Default Train Travel for 6 Months

twinkle_toes wrote:

Hi,

I want to get some sort of pass that allows me unlimited travel for 6
months. Does Eurail offer something like this? I haven't found anything
online that shows any pass like this.

Eurail is only cost-effective for intensive travel. The unlimited passes
are a waste of money unless you make either several very long trips or
intermediate trips virtually every day. I can't imagine anyone keeping
up that pace of travel for six months.

If you will be in Europe for six months, you might want to get a pass
for the first month or so, and then watch out for local bargains. Some
countries (Italy for example) have such inexpensive railroads that no
Eurail pass could pay off, while others (Germany for example) have
expensive railroads but many bargain rates for offpeak travel or for
advance purchase (the UK).

You would almost certainly be better off with tickets bought locally
with an eye for bargains.

Barbara