Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:04 PM posted to alt.boston.moderated,alt.boston.unmoderated,rec.travel.usa-canada

Default seek advice driving the Connecticut Route 169 scenic road

Allen Bates wrote:
"K" wrote in message
169 is really only one of many such pretty drives in that part of the
state, which is very rural. 169 is only about 40 miles from
end-to-end, and because of it's status as a national scenic road, it
can get crowded on weekends during foliage season. Not to worry -
find your way to the village of Baltic and take 207 north to 85
north. These will take you through some of our beautiful and hilly
farmland. You'll end up in Colchester where you can hop on Rt 2 for
the short ride up to Hartford. Keith

Keith, Thank you for your advice.
I understand your instruction is for driving the entire length of
scenic Route 169. Looking at my map and maps.google.com Baltic is
probably too far south for us to turn west to go to Hartford. I think
we should turn right at Brooklyn, CT. and take the Route 6 to go to
Hartford, correct? Can you please tell me how best from Boston to turn off
I-90 or I-395
into Route 169?

The basic directions will be the same no matter where you want to pick up
169. Just stay on 295 if you want to pick up 169 farther South. This will
get you to N. Woodstock. Take I-90 West to the interchange with I-290
(Auburn/Worcester). After the toll head South on I 395. Take the rt 16
exit toward Webster. Turn right almost immediately on to E Main St and say
on that. It becomes 197 at the Ct Line and meets 169 after a few more
miles.

I didn't try to steer you wrong by avoiding Rt 6. For years it was the
highest-fatality road in the state, but the towns along the way didn't want
any widening/straightening in their back yard. The result is that the state
installed a traffic signal at nearly every intersection. You would pick it
up in Brooklyn, and from there it's just over 60 miles to Hartford, and
travel time is 2hrs on a good day. It's a very frustrating road.
Continuing on to Baltic will leave you with about a 48 mile drive to
Hartford and you can do it in under an hour, along much more pleasant roads.
All you'll see are a few cars, a few tractors, some goats, and the miles of
scenery.

Keith