Old April 25th, 2006, 01:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default trip to usa in december/january

On 24 Apr 2006 20:00:40 -0700, "cora" wrote:

I am really worried about how cold it is over there in winter and also
if it would be too crowded in New York before Christmas.
The shops over here get absolutely mad pre-xmas, so I was wondering if
it the same over there.

We were in New York the week before Christmas this year, and I was
pleasantly surprised. There were certainly a lot of tourists, but it's
a big city and absorbs them fairly well. I remember mad shopping
scenes before Christmas when I lived near New York. You can avoid
these by either shopping early or late, or going to the smaller, less
well-known shops.

We shopped without long lines or other hassles at Century 21, which is
just across from the ex-World Trade Center. This is a huge department
store with marked-down brand name merchandise, everything from
clothing to housewares. We also shopped at J&R, which is a
conglomeration of stores offering cameras, computers, and all sorts of
other consumer electronics. It's a fairly easy walk from Century 21.
Then we went to lunch at the South Street Seaport, also within walking
distance, where there is a food court and lots of small shops.

This was the only day we did shopping, but it was enough for my
Italian relatives, and more than enough for me.

The weather in New York in late December could be quite cold for
someone who is not accustomed to the cold, but the city is near the
sea, so is not as cold as other places you're thinking of visiting. We
took a walk in Central Park one day, which was absolutely lovely.

It was suggested to me to stay in Queens and take the subway as it is
much cheaper than staying in hte centre of New York.

I got a very good deal on an excellent hotel in New York by booking
several months ahead. I booked it on Expedia. We were three people
sharing a room and had a centrally located, 4-star hotel at a price
little higher than the youth hostel. My daughter and son-in-law and
their baby were in a nearby room.The cost for the third person in the
room was very low. Most rooms have two double beds, and many will also
put a cot in the room for a fifth person. To get this kind of room,
you may have to talk to the hotel. I found the hotel on Expedia, but
then saw the same price on the hotel's own web page. In the end, I
called the desk to arrange to some things, like a crib for the baby,
and booked the hotel over the phone.

Also where would be the best place to spend Christmas Day, if we were
in new York.

There will be many restaurants open. Some of the churches will have
magnificent Christmas Eve services with choirs, organs and even
orchestras. I believe you would be able to ice skate at Rockefeller
Center, and it might be the only day when it's not too crowded. If
it's nice, you could walk in Central Park, where there are at least
two other ice-skating rinks.

It will be very strange not having Christmas with our family. It will
be the first Christmas EVER we have spent without them!!

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.