Old September 17th, 2004, 04:53 PM
John Ramsay

PDawg77 wrote:

My husband and I will be visiting LA in December. We don't know anyone
in the area, and would rather make like a local than do all that
touristy stuff.

We want to see the mountains and the beach, maybe go for a hike and a
drive along the coast. We'll be staying at a hotel in Beverly Hills,
which I understand is near many nice neighbourhoods and attractions.
We're just not sure where to go or what to do while we're there.

By the way, does anyone have any tips for navigating our way around
town by car? I hear Los Angeles is all highway...

Avoid rush hour and the drivings not that bad.
We've been there twice.

From Beverley Hills the most enjoyable day and
evening is Santa Monica.

You can drive the Ocean Rd up to Malibu in
the daytime.
Walk the SM beach day or evening. Catch the
sun setting behind the mountains if you
time it right.

Mall shopping at Santa Monica Place. Street shopping
along 3rd, 4th, 5th.

Walk the pier, a lively place with far more
locals than tourists.