Old September 17th, 2004, 04:26 AM
R J Carpenter

"JF" wrote in message
m...
Strange they do not need to speak Dutch. What's that about?? If you
are converting to being a Dutch National how can you not without
speaking the language? Most documents in the Dutch Antilles are in
Dutch (ABC Islands anyway, and the education is all in Dutch at this
time.

Ann
www.bonairecaribbean.com

I thought it weird, which is why I posted the message. I understand that
public education on St Maarten is "in Dutch", but I gather that most locals
speak English at home. The main (commercial) Dutch-side radio station is in
English.

Saba is even more English-oriented.

It is clear that English is the native language of many of the Blacks on the
French side of St Martin - essentially every sign in Orleans (a non-tourist
town) is in English. This applies to the small Catholic church and LARGE
Methodist church.

So English is the common language between locals of the two halves of the
island, a situation you don't have on the ABC islands.