Old January 14th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Thomas Peel

Default Socks!

Tom Bellhouse schrieb:

In the Netherlands, my late wife and I used to
joke that we could tell Americans by their white
socks. I hadn't realized we Merkins were
transgressing when we dressed that way, but here's
news that all travellers should see. Don't
transgress!

My wife keeps telling me that white tennis socks for men are totally out
of fashion since twenty years ago.
T.

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - White socks have been
declared indecent by the Dutch Finance Ministry.

A ministry official on Tuesday confirmed a recent
internal publication that proclaimed white sports
socks "transgress the limits of decent dress
behavior" for ministry employees.

The officials were also expected to wear dark blue
or gray suits in order to convey "reliability and
professionalism."

"People are expected to dress in accordance with
their function," said a spokeswoman, stressing
there were no strict controls.