Old February 28th, 2009, 04:38 PM posted to rec.travel.misc
Hatunen

Default food in Mexico

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:45:22 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Someone told me it can take about 3 days to get used to food in Mexico
when you're coming from the U.S.

Anyone know why this is?

I've been going to Mexico from time to time since about 1966 and
never had a problem, even on one-day jaunts across the border.
But our guts have little tiney beasties in them which normally do
no harm. It could be that the slightly different strain of these
beasties down below the border will take a few days for your gut
to adjust to. And, of course, water supplies down there aren't
always as pure as the ones w're used to in the USA, so drinking
from the tap or a drinking fountain might not be wise. And salads
can be problemmatic.

In the parts of Mexico I visit, many hotels have a private, safe,
water supply; ask the management.

As it happens, anytime you go from one place to another it might
tke a few days for your stomach to adjust. Several decades ago
there used to be a somewhat ironic TV commercial showing a
Hispanic-looking gentleman with a Spanich accent getting off an
airliner and holding up a Pepto-Bismol bottle (or something like
it) and commenting that whenever he visits America he takes his
Pepto.