Old October 29th, 2011, 07:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Király[_1_]

Default Driving in Canada

Gerrit wrote:
We are planning to drive from Winnipeg to Edmonton next year.
Can anyone advise which is the best scenic/thingstodo route?

If you want scenic, stay off Hwy 1 and Hwy 16. They are the fastest
routes, but the most boring and they have the most traffic.

My favorite route is the Red Coat Trail, which is Manitoba Hwy 2,
Saskatchewan Hwy 13, and various secondary highways in Alberta. Very
little traffic, more scenic, speed limits are 100 km/h. The further west
you go, the less flat and more interesting the topography gets.

My favorite gems along the route:
Eastend, SK (an excellent restaurant with home cookin' and a good
little museum)

Robsart, SK (a fascinating near-ghost ghost town with plenty of
abandoned buildings, if you are into that kind of thing)

Cypress Hills interprovincial park is a nice bit of forest oasis in the
middle of all of the grasslands.

Etzikom, AB (another good little museum)

Dinosaur Prov Park in Alberta (not to be confused with Drumheller) with
fascinating land formations and dinosaur fossils for the viewing

Writing-on-stone Prov Park in Alberta (a little south off the Red Coat
but good guided tours to see the ancient petroglyphs)

If you are a Star Trek fan, a visit to Vulcan, AB is a must.

Head up north through Drumheller and have a look at the Royal Tyrell
centre, which is one of the best natural history museums that I have
seen.

Enjoy your visit.

--
K.