Old June 7th, 2006, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Best beach place to stay for a few days in California?

Marek Zawadzki wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'll be driving from LA to San Francisco (H-1) this June with my wife and I was
wondering which place would you recommend for stopping by and relaxing for few
days. I'm looking for something not too crowded, with a nice beach and
a camping place, where you can stay for like 3 days without suffering from the
crowds and not get bored at the same time.

Thanks for any advices,

-marek

I would consider myself lucky to stay anywhere near the beach between
LA and SF in June for less than $150/night (not camping). All decent
beach campspots fill up as soon as the parks allow reservations.
Because schools in CA don't get out until mid June typically, the
crowds are not too bad. Southern CA beaches may have "June Gloom"
which means coastal fog most mornings, I cannot speak for the beaches
further north.

They are all beautiful: moving south to north (more or less):

Carpinteria
Santa Barbara
Pismo
Morrow Bay
Julia Pfeiffer
Big Sur
Point Lobos
Monterey
Half Moon Bay

Search and see what suits your style. Better yet, take a look at a
good map. The drive itself is worth the trip. 3 days is barely
enough; boredom should not be an issue.

I'm sure there are many more, and my geographic order may be off. This
however is a good planning start.

I recommend that you check out the california state parks site for
camping information, but be forewarned, "beach camping" may mean on a
cliff, or near a railroad track - be very thorough in your research if
you are tent camping.