Old May 30th, 2007, 03:17 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
janerene

Default Costa Rica Vacation plan in late June and early July

We never rent a car, but have found good transportation everywhere we've
wanted/needed to go in Costa Rica. (We've been there 3 times) When you go
with a driver who knows the area, they can get you there faster because they
know all the back roads (which are unmarked on the maps and have no street
signs). They know where the roads are washed out in rainy season. They
know where the pot holes are--some the size of a Volkswagen! You also don't
have to worry about your car pooping out on you when you are in a more
remote location. When that happens, you are STUCK! We met some folks up
around Arenal that that happened to. The were literally stuck until the
rental company that they had rented from in San Jose decided to bring
another car up. In the meantime, they were liable for the car, if they were
to leave it. You can also find a chatty driver who is more than happy to
tell you about his country. Unless you have unlimited time to try to
navigate the backroads of CR, I'd tell first timers to CR to use a driver,
the buses, and minivans. BTW, Best Westerns have minibuses that go between
all their locations--I think there are 5 around the country. Which ever way
you decide to go though, you will love Costa Rica. Jane

"k" wrote in message
. net...

"Mr. R" wrote in message
I agree with Nick and Judy. Although Costa Rica, by Central America
standards, is safe and prosperous, the roads can get a little tricky in
bad weather ... particularly the secondary roads.

As for package vacations, I wish more people would only use them in
exceptional circumstances. There are so many excellent resources (travel
books, Internet, etc.) where a great trip can be planned. Not only is it
cheaper ... it's just more fun, and it's the difference between a
traveler and a tourist.

Oh my God, do you know how snotty you sound? I haven't heard that hateful
phrase in years. I'M A TRAVELER beats chest not a tourist tourists
look down and try to hide their sobs I take it you deem yourself a
'traveler', so tell us how many countries you've 'traveled' through
without looking at the sights, staying in the fancy hotels, checking out
the local cuisine, like you would as a tourist. Tourist does NOT mean
bus, anymore than 'traveler' means rental car.

Costa Rican roads are pitiful by any standard, in any weather. As a
result, rental cars are expensive, and usually beat up. I drive there
without hesitation, but that's me. We saved a ton once by taking a 'bus'
vacation in CR, meaning the local converted school buses. It was a ball,
but we were young then, and didn't have children in tow. We barely spent
what's lunch money these days.

To the OP, if you can find a tour that's geared to families with kids, and
within your means, by all means take it. Only Mr. R. will look down his
nose at you, and I'm sure you'll all love CR in all its beauty, its
people, and its great food. If you go to Guanacaste, the beaches are
great, and you can rent horses to ride on the beach. Unlike most places,
you can actually run the horses.

Arenal is kind of astounding if you don't already live near a volcano. It
goes off all the time, and you can stay in a facing cabin, where you can
watch the almost constant eruptions from your bed or porch. La Fortuna,
at the base, is a town with an old-west flavor.

By all means, budget in a canopy tour, and there are many. Not cheap, but
a lot of fun and very memorable.

There are also all kinds of day tours - river rafts, birding, jungle
hikes, fishing ... the list goes on.

You can feast on fresh fruit every morning, and native dishes (lots of
meat, fish and rice, and on the salty side) the rest of the time, and if
you stick to local places that's where you'll save big time.

I trust you'll have a great time there as a tourist. We always do, and
will be returning permanently as residents in just a few more years, and
we will not be living in a gated 'community'. Not.

keith