Old November 21st, 2006, 08:37 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Frank Slootweg

Default online check-in

"Markku Gr?nroos" wrote:

"Frank Slootweg" kirjoitti

[Severely snipping because there no longer is any point.]

The process *I* am describing is more or less the reverse, first
passenger check-in and then (and a seperate counter) hold-luggage
inspection/check-in/drop-off.

Name one airport in which routines are arranged like this.

For *example* Schiphol airport ("Amsterdam").

And as I said in my very first response (on *this* subject): These are
*sometimes* used for (increased) *security* reasons, i.e. they are *not*
"routines", but *exceptions* to the general routines:

Check in is always proceeded in no more than one counter no matter
whether you have a pre-printed boarding card or not.

In this day and age of increased security, that's no longer always
the case.

Sometimes there are seperate drop-off points for luggage (which is
going into the hold), where passengers have to present their luggage
for security screening and subsequent check-in. I.e. in that case,
traditional check-in is two stops/'counters', one for passenger
check-in (seat-assignment/passport+visa-check/boarding-pass) and one
for luggage security-check/check-in.