Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:58 PM
Gregory Morrow

Default DL flyers---have you purchased their meals?

(maryanne kehoe) wrote:

Anyone tried their meals that they are selling on flights over 1500
miles? Edible or take a pass?

GRILLED ARTICHOKES WITH SESAME DIPPING SAUCE

Toni and Lee Marteney of Kula, Maui, Hawaii, write: "Even though we
live on Maui, where there are many fantastic restaurants, my husband
and I always look forward to our trips to the mainland so we can eat
at our favorite Southern California restaurant, Walt's Wharf in Seal
Beach. All the food is superb and beautifully presented, but we always
look forward to sharing the delicious grilled artichoke appetizer."

The artichokes can be steamed in advance and thrown on the grill just
before serving, which makes them perfect for entertaining.

Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons oriental sesame oil
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt

Artichokes
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 large artichokes

1/3 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced

For dipping sauce:
Whisk mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, sesame oil, honey,
lemon juice, and seasoned salt in small bowl to blend well. Cover and
refrigerate until cold.

For artichokes:
Fill large bowl with cold water; add lemon juice. Cut off stem and top
quarter of 1 artichoke. Bend back dark green outer leaves and snap off
at artichoke base until only pale green and yellow leaves remain. Cut
any dark green areas off base. Cut artichoke lengthwise into 6 wedges.
Place artichoke wedges in lemon water. Repeat with remaining
artichokes.

Steam artichokes until tender, about 30 minutes. Cool. Remove choke
and any purple-tipped leaves from center of artichoke wedges. (Dipping
sauce and artichokes can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep sauce
refrigerated. Cover artichokes and refrigerate.)

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Stir olive oil and minced garlic
in small bowl to blend. Brush garlic oil over artichokes. Sprinkle
artichokes with salt and pepper. Grill artichokes until slightly
charred, turning occasionally, about 8 minutes.

Transfer artichokes to platter and serve with dipping sauce.

Makes 6 servings.

Bon Appétit
June 2003

R.S.V.P.