Old April 14th, 2004, 07:23 AM
pid

Default Mont Blanc walk

Thanks everyone for the advice. Hope this trip works out.
Bernard

"Michael" wrote in message ...
"pid" wrote in message
m...
Hi everyone,
I am planning a trip to Chamonix in july with the view to do some day
excursions around the mont blanc area. The problem I have is this:
1) I will be traveling with wife and friends who are not athletically
inclined.
2) If they've found out that the trip turns out to be extremely
strenuous mountaineering exercises, they may never talk to me again
(wife included).

So I am asking for help with the following:
1) Easy, scenic day trips from Chamonix for beginners
2) Must-visit villages/restaurants around this area.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Bernard

I went walking in the Chamonix valley last year. As stated by a previous
poster one way of lessening the walking difficulty is to take a cable car up
and walk down. This gets some stunning views etc. for much reduced effort.
However the lower parts of some of the walks are in forest.

Another option is to walk from one cable car terminus to another. This way
you get a more level walk (very few walks will be flat however). If I recall
correctly there are Grand Balcon and Petit Balcon walks on both sides of the
valley - the tourist office will certainly have details.

Chamonix itself is a very "touristy" town - you may think this is an
advantage or a disadvantage.