Old August 23rd, 2006, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

Default Bilingual in Europe versus USA

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:56:12 GMT, "Cesar Neri"
wrote:

I don't think you can just make a sweeping generalization like that. Even in
Europe, it all depends on what country and what region we are talking about.
For example, on a trip to Bavaria many years ago, I took the Brenner pass
from Austria and ended up in a town in Italy near the border with
Austra/Germany. In this town, all the signs were in 2 languages and everyone
was bilingual. This town was Bolzano/Bozen and in this town bilingual
definitely meant being able to speak Italian and German/Austrian. So, this
is at least one example in Europe where, similar to the US, the word
bilingual referred to 2 specific languages.

He's not whining about bilingualism, he's whining about signs
that literally say "Bilingual". They seem to confuse him.