Old October 1st, 2008, 05:26 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
DerekF

Default Brisbane Flu

"Mel" wrote in message

"DerekF" wrote in message
Planning our second trip to OZ and read in the British media about a
massive Flu outbreak over there. Is it over yet?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-hundreds.html
Derek.

Derek, that is one of the most alarmist articles I've read in a very long
time. What it doesn't mention is the most of the deaths were elderly
patients who are at risk from influenza regardless of the strain.

The flu season wasn't anywhere near as bad this winter and it's basically
over now the weather is getting (very) warm. So if you're coming here
before our winter 09, the worst you're likely to get is bad sunburn.

Happy planning and have a great trip.
Mel

We are having our annual flu jabs on Monday:-) So roll on OZ.
Three Aussies have already put a denial under the article. I used to work
for a company that employed a lot of young Aussies and Kiwis. They and their
friends all seemed to get Flu when over here.Guess the damp London air
weakened their resistance or else they just took a lot of
Sickies.Backpackers are always reporting it as laying Dormfulls low when
they are over here.
Derek.

http://www.usenet.com