Old April 19th, 2007, 06:48 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
LVTravel[_3_]

Default Letting someone else drive my rental car.

Can't answer for all states in the Union, but in my home state, if someone
is operating a vehicle (even if the renter is there) that is not on the
rental contract it is unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. Last I checked
the fine was about $500 and maybe jail time but it is a criminal matter and
the person must appear in court and the court can impose up to the statutory
maximums. The state also has a provision that if the "owner" (which in this
case would be you since you are the renter) permitted known illegal
operation of the vehicle the "owner" is also liable to the exact same
penalty. When you read the law where it says "owner" it specifically
mentions the renter of a vehicle.

I know that my insurance company will not cover any damages if I permit the
vehicle I rented to be operated in violation of the rental contract. Most
rental supplemental insurance coverage is also void if it is operated in
violation of the rental contract. Any uninsured damage and you will be
fully responsible for all expenses of the rental company, attorney fees,
vehicle down time, repairs, etc.

Either get him on the rental contract or don't let him drive.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey guys. I'll be taking a cross country road trip in May and one of
my friends is under 25 will be tagging along for the ride. He won't be
doing much of the driving but in the event that I need for him to
drive for a bit, what are the risks involved with him driving but not
being on the rental agreement as an additional driver. I don't want to
add him as an additional driver because it costs way too much and he
won't be driving much.

If he's driving and we get pulled over for speeding, is it illegal for
him to not be on the rental agreement but be driving?

Also, God forbid he has an accident while driving, what're the
repercussions of that?

Thanks.

-ASR