Old October 7th, 2011, 09:41 AM posted to alt.vacation.las-vegas,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

Default Prague or Monaco for a flying visit...

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011, ]v[etaphoid wrote:

Thanks to all (especially Giovanni for his detailed hitlist!) for the

One thing I forgot (no idea how one can get there) is La Turbie
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Turbie). It should be rather close to
Monaco (one can see the "trophy" from above from the rest point on the
motorway ... but that is as close as I got to it).

There is this Roman monument (the "trophy") which marked the border
between Italia and Gallia, listing all the Alpine peoples submitted by
Augustus.

Dante uses the expression "tra Lerice e Turbia" to indicate Ligury. I'd
rather like the idea of a trek (by foot) between Lerici and La Turbie,
if somebody will organize it with luggage transport.

Talking about Dante ("discendesi in Noli"), I realize I forgot to
mention Noli (which was once rather difficult to reach because of the
steep coast). Could be worth a couple of hour visit.

The passages between Borgio and Finale, and Varigotti and Noli were
rather difficult. The names of the places are still now "Malpasso" (bad
pass) and "Caprazoppa" (lame goat) !