Old October 8th, 2008, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Traveller[_5_]

Default Planes in Europe

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
I just picked up all of my documents from the travel agent today. We will
be doing 3 flights within Europe. One from Paris to Budapest, one from
Amsterdam to Seville (with a change of plane in Madrid) and one from
Seville to Barcelona.

They are all e-tickets. I won't have a printer so I can't get boarding
passes. Do we just go up to the check-in counter and show them the copies
of the schedules the TA gave us? I'm assuming that they will not speak
English.

Janet: Let me give you some sensible advice as someone who actually lives in
Europe.

First, you'll have no problem communicating in English at the airports you
list.

Second, online checkin is available with *most* carriers, usually 24 hours
before the flight. Can you tell us which airlines you are flying with on
the legs you mention above, and I'll confirm it?

Third, it *does* save time to check in online and it's the right reflex to
have. If you are staying in the major cities you list, I'd be surprised if
you have to go more than 500 yards from your hotel to find an internet cafe.
20 minutes - which is plenty of time for checkin - should be no more than $2
with maybe another $1 for the printed page (these are "worst-case" prices -
any more than that is too expensive!).

In Paris & Amsterdam, I would get to the airport no less than 90 minutes
before your flight leaves (depending on time of day, and which airport).
In the other airports, 75 minutes should be plenty.

Bear in mind that when flying to Spain, you will have to provide Advance
Passenger Information when you check in, so if you're doing it online, keep
your passport handy - you'll need it.

Finally, most full-service airlines in Europe are adapting an "online or
kiosk" checkin policy for coach class travel - so if you don't check-in
online, you'll have to use a machine at the airport. It's pretty
straightforward - you generally just need your booking reference and the
plastic you used to pay for the flight. The machine issues your boarding
pass, and (sometimes) your baggage tag too; you then take your bag to a
drop-off desk.

There is no such thing as curbside checkin anywhere in Europe (unless
someone knows different!)