Old November 30th, 2015, 10:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

Default Milan to Bucharest by train?

to make a preliminary plan try the following alternate interface to the
German rail site (names like Milano and Bucuresti work)
http://www.myway.de/e.lauterbach/aus...fplanx-en.html

Apparently this shows a through night train from Wien to Bucarest.
Unfortunately the connection from Italy is not optimal, because for
unknown reasons after the Udine-Tarvisio-Villach line has been entirely
refurbished, daytime international trains have disappeared between Italy
and Austria (sic !).

There should still be night trains from Italy to Wien, so if you agree
to spend one day in Wien you could have a reasonable trip.

I guess the same if you agree for a stopover in any other major place
on the route. I guess it depends mainly on your interest, if you want to
visit sites on the route, and which stretch you prefer to do in daytime
"looking out of the window".