Old February 19th, 2016, 11:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

Default Milan to Bucharest by train?

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

For an outsider it is confusing, especially when you need to catch an
onwards train. Hopefully I'll make it to Porta Garibaldi in time.

You have to catch which train from Porta Garibaldi ? Long distance have
most moved back to Centrale (at least Italo).

Anyhow if you are at Malpensa, the trains to Porta Garibaldi, and those
to Centrale will all call at Porta Garibaldi (PG). The train to Cadorna
don't. But if you can't wait the PG train you can stop at Bovisa, then
take S1 S2 or S13 trains (direction resp. Lodi Rogoredo Pavia) and in 2
stops you will get at Porta Garibaldi UNDER.

Timetables are on http://www.trenord.it/

Unfortunately PG is rather a messy station (known also as "the caves of
Moria"). There are at ground level platforms 1-16 (head station),
regional and some long distance towards west, and platforms 17-20
(through station, regional towards north and trains to Centrale), then
there are (4? or 2?) platforms underground (S-trains). Then there is the
metro M2 (green) and M5 (lilla), which are most likely not of interest
to you.

Coming in late to Malpensa, I've booked a hotel in Case Nuove right next
to the airport. It's an easy walking distance for me,

Hmm, looks a funny choice for me, I did not know that Case Nuove is
still inhabited. I thought the inhabitants got money to move elsewhere,
they were complaining about noise and pollution.

I would have thought there are hotels elsewhere, perhaps in Ferno (1
rail stop), or in Gallarate (larger town, with very frequent rail
connection to PG).

However I look at google maps and see that there are several hotels
there, perhaps they bought the place from the inhabitants.

Does your hotel provide a courtesy shuttle ?
Otherwise I think you can always take a taxi

But then you'll have to go back to Malpensa or some other rail station
to continue to Milan, surely you can't get there directly from the
hotel,

(I would have moved to Milan to overnight there, there should be buses
even late after the train service is stopped ... I once took a coach
FROM Milan to MXP T2 at 4 am)

There's a shuttlebus between the two terminals and it looks like there
are bus stops, but the airport webpage has no information on stops
outside the terminal.

http://www.muoversi.regione.lombardia.it/planner/ provides the
timetables of buses in Lombardy. It is however better to check on the
individual company sites.

I did a search by LINE, then filled in the COMUNE as Somma Lombardo
(Case Nuove is a "fraction" of Somma Lombardo) and get a list of lines
transiting in Somma Lombardo. Line SO-CAS of SACO SRL (never heard of)
looks to be transiting in Case Nuove and Malpensa, but I doubt it runs
late in the evening.

http://www.malpensa.it/from-malpensa-to-milan.php does not list local
services although it lists the ones to Gallarate etc.

If you have specific questions you may ask on
http://forum.milanotrasporti.org (you have to register to post in forum
"Come spostarsi da... a... & Richieste varie - SOLO ISCRITTI" (for
queries about how to go from ... to ...). You may post in English

Somebody there may know better.