Old February 1st, 2005, 09:46 AM
B Vaughan

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:25:49 -0500, "Claim Guy"
wrote:

I will be travelling to NYC, for the first time, in mid March.

I always do my own travel planning but I must admit I am bewildered by the
variety of options for finding accommodation in New York.

Most websites break down the locations into 10 or more sub-areas, with at
least 5 in Manhattan alone. I dunno; is the Upper East side a better place
to be than Midtown, Soho, etc..? If you could advise a first timer, where
would you suggest that they situate themselves?

The upper east side wouldn't be my favorite place to stay. It also
depends just how "upper" it is, and what avenue it's on. The east side
has fewer transportation options than the west side, and to me it's a
bit boring.

We will get all over Manhattan in the 4 days, I'm sure, so being really
close to a couple of the major sites (museums, etc.) is not critical. But we
would like the location of the hotel to afford some local ambience (and I'm
not into "edgy" ambience) that we can enjoy every day. No car, obviously, we
will cab it or use the subway.

I don't know what options are being offered to you, but midtown is
convenient, Soho is fine. Greenwich Village would also be fine, and
the upper west side would appeal to me more than the upper east side.

3 or 4 star (4 if it is a good deal) accommodation, with some character is
our style.

Any specific hotel, or activity recommendations would also be appreciated. 4
days will leave so much undone, I think I'm already committed to a return
trip.

I don't have any specific hotels to recommend, as my star level is
lower than yours.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.