Old November 30th, 2008, 12:58 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ken Blake

Default Restaurant Tipping in Australia

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 11:31:10 +1100, Alan S wrote:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 13:55:25 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

Is it customary to tip the waiter in an Australian restaurant, or is
it like Italy and France, where such tipping is rare?

If tipping is customary, what percentage of the bill is the normal
amount to tip.

Depends. The further away you are from restaurants used by
American tourists the less you are expected (by the staff)
to tip.

We tip for good service, not for basic service. I usually
add 5% to 10%, rounded up to the nearest dollar, but only if
the service warranted it. I may add more for exceptional
service. By Oz standards outside Sydney and the Gold Coast,
I am a generous tipper.

We do not ever tip for drinks in pubs and bars, or food in
fast food restaurants or self serve or smorgasbord
restaurants.

PS Tipping cab drivers is usually expected, but again the
level is usually rounding up to the nearest dollar (or
nearest five on a big fare). When I was a cabbie 10% was a
good tip; and I loved picking up Americans from the
airport:-)

Thanks very much. That's helpful information.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: Two Indian Hotels: to Sleep, Perchance...

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup