Old April 4th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Mike Lane

Default Greek Island Hopping Advice Sought

meg wrote:

I intend to spend two weeks hopping some of the greek islands but am a
bit unsure whether to just buy a flight and throw all caution to the
wind. I do have a very good book on the subject but am tempted to seek
an organised hopping package, although more expensive peace of mind
comes at a price it seems! Does anyone have any experience island
hopping who would care to advice me either way? Is it as simple to do
off your own back as the books suggest to find accomodation in peak
season?

You will get masses of advice on this subject, but the simple answer to
your question is, yes - it *is* as simple as the guide books suggest.
Don't go with an organised package - the whole point of island hopping
is having the freedom to move when and where you want.

All you have to do is get a flight to Athens, take the bus to Pireaus
and get a ferry to the island of your choice. I find the overnight
easyJet flight from Luton best as it arrives early in the morning with
plenty of time to get the morning ferries (I take it you are based in
the UK?).

The only caution I would advise is not to imagine that Greece is a cheap
country. Prices have been rising year on year and I would now estimate
that they are about equivalent to most other European countries.

--
Mike Lane
To email me replace invalid with mike underscore lane.