Old April 1st, 2007, 09:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
RAK

Default Singapore Airline has boxes installed underneath seats

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

RAK wrote:
"April 2007" wrote in message
. ..

I also understand Singapore Airline's 747 flying between SFO and HKG also
has boxes under seats. Can anyone confirm exact box locations so that we
can
avoid it. Thank you.

Those boxes are for the entertainment systems - the downside of having
one
of the best inflight systems around, on-demand movies in economy. They
seem
to be placed every few rows. As far as I remember they are usually under
aisle seats in the outer rows of seats. They may be somewhere in the
central
rows but I never fly there (being a window seat fan on longhaul).

There are so many I think you will have trouble finding out where they
all
are. If you are doing seat allocation at checkin you can ask to avoid
them,
but I think if you book your seat online or over the phone in advance it
think it's just luck.
It may even vary between 747 models (and of course some long hauls are
not
747s)

I have usually been an aisle seat person since I often like to get up and
walk about and don't want to bother others in the row. The airlines may
just have changed that habit. I may be able to get center section aisle
seats though.

Just to be clear, I did not say there are no boxes in the central section. I
don't fly there so don't know. But I would guess that they would be down one
side of the central section, so maybe all the left aisle central seats area
clear. of all the right aisle ones.
Have you looked at the SQ website, the online seat request section? It is
quite detailed and just may show the boxes (though it probably doesn't)