Old July 15th, 2007, 04:13 AM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill in Schenectady

Default Immigration patrols on domestic Amtrak

"Whitelightning" wrote in message

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message

That sounds unlikely since the conductor did say that this is very
common...meaning this happens on most of the trains. And if this was the
case, there would be no need to question each passenger in coach class,
especially if they had a description.

Immigration is concerned with more than just Mexicans. And given that the
fastest growing
group in Canada right now starts with I and ends with slam, what they are
doing might not be
a bad thing. Once west of the great lakes the border between Canada and
the USA is damn
near imposable to secure unless we put troops on the border spaced every
100 yards, would
to be every 25 yards in some places unless we started clear cutting
vegetation.
Seems no matter what they do someone is saying its to much, and someone
else is saying it wasn't
enough.

Whitelightning.

Well, this was at the Buffalo stop. The train runs from Chicago to NYC.
Between Chicago and Syracuse, the only crossings from Canada are over
bridges.

So, why didn't they also check first class? Why don't they put road blocks
on the Thruway? Seems to me that they only look at public transportation
since that's what the poor people use. The real terrorists, though, have
resources. They by airline tickets.