Old March 6th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Alastair J. Smith

Default Driving on the unaccustomed side of the road

"John0714" wrote in message
This past November and December I drove extensively in the area bounded by
Adeaide, Brisbane, and Melbourne, or whatever I am an American who has

driven
in the USA and Canada for 40 years. I found driving on the left often

quite
disconcerting.

I think that is your answer, 40 years driving on the same side. I think you
will find most people in this forum have done a lot of travelling and are
therefore used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

I would imagine you would have been using a hire car of which 90%+ are
automatic. It's more interesting when you have to change gear with the
"wrong" hand as well.

The Aussies drive quite courteously, you need to come and practice in the UK
where slow or hesitant drivers are not tolerated very well.