Old August 25th, 2004, 05:22 PM
B Vaughan

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:52:20 -0700, "Stephen Dailey"
wrote:

Sort of on-topic: Are EU countries standardizing their driver's licenses,
with multiple languages? Just curious.

The EU has a new standard driver's license, but it doesn't have
multiple languages. Instead it uses a numbering scheme. For example,
my Italian license has on the left a EU flag with an I for Italy in
the center, my photo, and a band with the colors of the Italian flag.
To the right is "patente di guida" (driver's license) and "Repubblica
Italiana", which are the only language specific things on the front.
Below these is a numbered list which contains the following
information:

1. surname
2. given name
3. birthdate and birthplace
4. date of issue of license
5. date of expiry
7. (I think it's my signature)
8. address

On the back, there is a grid with graphics, numbers and letters, which
indicate what sort of vehicles I'm allowed to drive.

People who have the older-style license keep it until the next time
they need to replace it, which is not very often in Italy, as they
just put new stamps in the old booklet form license.
--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.