Old February 27th, 2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
William McNicol

Default VISA ON ARRIVAL TO VIETNAM.

Sharkbait wrote:
Mister Max wrote:

I can only describe what transpired when we came in to SGN with an emailed
copy of the confirmation of our visas on arrival.

I too have done both pre arranged visas (which is what we are really
talking about - there is no general visa on arrival service in Vietnam)
and visas obtained from consulate in my home country (UK)

I am still missing a part. Somebody emailed you a copy of the confirmation
of your visa for your airport of arrival? If so, I presume you were in
communications with some TA or other entity, forwarded money or credit card
information and received your visa confirmation number via email? If so,

Indeed. Paid by CC.

1. How did the total fees paid differ from what you would have paid had you
used the embassy?

Cheaper. Total fees for pre arranged visa = USD 55. Cheapest way to
get same visa here in the UK (i.e. go to the consulate to drop off and

2. From the time you first paid whatever fee you were initially charged, how
long did it take to get your email confirmation?

5 days. (As described on their website) They can do quicker if you pay
for express service.

3. From the time you arrived at airport immigration, how long did you have
to wait for your passport and visa before proceeding to luggage?

Not long. 10 Minutes. Queues for immigration were just about cleared
by the time we joined them, so we were slower to get through than the
first in line, but not any worse than we would have been in we had been
last in line. Immigration service has its act together much better than
previously, so the queues move pretty quickly nowadays.

What happens if the online TA or agency takes your money or credit card
information but you don't get your email? Sounds like you're screwed. Can
one get a visa at the airport upon arrival? If so, how long and how much
would that cost?

You don't need to worry about the cost of a visa on arrival if you're
screwed by the TA. Without the fax/email from them, you would not be
allowed to board the plane to Vietnam at all :-)

I guess that if you don't get your fax/email and can't get something
sorted out before you're due to fly, your screwed. However, any TA who
wanted to stay in business would presumably not want to do that and get
a v. bad name here and on all the travel forums (as well as getting
hassle of credit card charge backs).

Cheers,

William.

rg