Old December 14th, 2008, 02:28 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
sharx35

Default Report from the US, a nice but somewhat backward country.

"John Kulp" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 22:24:08 +0100, Frank Slootweg
wrote:

[Reposted. Please don't cut the newsgroups (without saying so).]

pltrgyst wrote:
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 21:10:37 +0100, Frank Slootweg

wrote:

John Kulp wrote:

Excuse me? Our sales taxes range from zero to around 8%....

I just took the stack of receipts we have. The *very first*, a toy
car, is already 8.5%, i.e. already *above* the maximum you mention.

The US generally has state sales taxes. The California state sales tax
is 7.25%.

On top of this, you may have smaller district, county, or city sales
taxes
(generally less than 1%). The total of all sales taxes may indeed range
as high
as 8.5%.

The *second* one, a meal, is already 12.3%!

Many cities have special restaurant taxes in addition to the general
sales tax.

The *third*, a motel bill, is 12%.

Most cities have special occupancy taxes for hotels in addition to the
general
sales tax.

Thanks! So the *total* *tax* is indeed often much higher than what
John said. That was my point. I already knew that *sales* tax wasn't the
only tax, that why I *started* by saying "your *product* (i.e. sales,
VAT, whatever) taxes", i.e. *any* tax which is added to the listed/
advertized price.

No, its not often, it's rare and restricted to taxes like the hotel
tax, the object being to stick tourists like you who can't vote in the
state so they can get away with it.

An excellent idea, I say!