Old February 22nd, 2004, 08:37 PM
Graham

Default African Doctors

"Raffi Balmanoukian" a
wrote in message
news:BC5E7EBC.2106B%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca...
in article , Graham W at
wrote on 2/22/04 12:15 PM:

Michael Carr wrote:
There are only two kinds of people in the world, AUSTRALIANS and
those who wish they were ......

Graham W wrote:
So why does the government periodically have advertising campaigns
trying to persuade long term permanent residents such as me to take
out citizenship?

Raffi Balmanoukian wrote:
Because if you want the benefits of the society in which you live,
take the obligations that go with it. Especially now that Australia
permits naturalized citizens to hold dual nationalities.

What obligations would these be?

Michael Carr claimed "there are only two kinds of people in the world,
AUSTRALIANS and those who wish they were". I am proof he is wrong.

The only difference citizenship would make for me is that the government
takes a fee off me and gives me a certificate, and they then charge me
money for a passport instead of for a visa.

I've been here since I was 5. I've seen nothing to make me attach any
great importance to reciting pseudoreligious nonsense at a ceremony and
getting a piece of paper for my effort.

That "pseudoreligious nonsense" is your pledge to a society of which you

are
a member, and theirs to you. If you don't believe in it, leave it.
Obviously Australia isn't worth your few dollars for its citizenship, so

you
should leave it. It would be better off without you.

this sounds so much like the arguement about Kiwis in Oz. The Kiwis seem to
dislike Australia and Aussies, but they plan never to return to NZ. I have
known quite a few Kiwis in my time..but they neve rwant to leave..or become
citizens.

They take more than they give

gra