Old May 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM posted to rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
grusl[_3_]

Default which travel guides have given you an inaccurate picture of the local people?

"Keith Anderson" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 May 2008 04:07:34 -0700 (PDT), martin
wrote:

The other day I read a post about the Lonely Planet writer who did a
whole chapter on a country without even going there, and amongst all
the discussion about how inaccurate travel guides can be, there was
the remark: "no matter what country it is the guide-book always says
that the people are very friendly".

People are often friendly, at least in the countries I've visited,
although there are always exceptions.

I've never really been in a country where I could characterize the whole
population as unfriendly. However, as far as Asia goes, I think Vietnam is
overrated for friendliness; Indonesia underrated. India is friendly almost
to a fault. In China I'm largely invisible. Laotians are too sleepy to
bother with me, which is kind of endearing. I'd rather be ignored than
fussed over.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore