Old May 16th, 2008, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Runge11

Default which travel guides have given you an inaccurate picture of the local people? Another useless question with endless thread

rtins pals
"martin" a écrit dans le message de
The other day I read a post about the Lonely Planet writer who did a
whole chapter on a country without even going there, and amongst all
the discussion about how inaccurate travel guides can be, there was
the remark: "no matter what country it is the guide-book always says
that the people are very friendly".

So, I was wondering what experiences any of you have of the 'locals'
being rather different from the picture the guide-book paints of them.

I keep remembering what the Rough Guide To Morocco said about the
hustlers: basically, that they do pester you, but you mustn't be rude
to them - just be polite and good humored, and they'll soon give up
and leave you alone. Not, you'll notice: 'If you politely refuse their
services, they'll follow you around shouting "**** you! **** you!"'

And the children you beg from you in Morocco: the LP guide said that
all you needed to do was wag a finger at them to point out they were
doing wrong, and they'd quietly go away - not 'even if you refuse with
the utmost politeness, they'll still pelt you with stones'.

So, any experiences of guide-books being 'optimistic' about people?