Old September 6th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Alfred Molon

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Depends on where you are. In hotels - especially at the breakfast buffet -
they will usually avoid all pork products just to avoid any potential
misunderstanding (given language difficulties, etc.). But I just had some
delightful crispy pork for lunch at the Thai restaurant across the street.
At Chinese places, the first time I eat there, they will warn me if I have
ordered something that has pork in it (unless it's obvious from the name)
but after that it's business as usual - they seem to have very good memories
for pork tolerance. Sometimes there is a separation between the halal
(no-pork) and non-halal (yes-pork) vendors in food courts - opposite sides
of the aisle and so on. You can sometimes see that in Singapore too.

Supermarkets in Chinese and expat areas (like anywhere in central KL)
usually have a separate section (sometimes even a different room) labeled
"non-halal foods" in huge letters where you can stock up on bacon bits and
pork rinds.

To be a bit more accurate, even chicken meat can be both halal and non-
halal. It's halal if you pray before killing the chicken, non-halal if
you don't. At the Chinese food stalls you get usually non-halal chicken.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Budapest and
Portugal