Old September 8th, 2004, 10:09 AM
nTZ

There's a list of maps here
http://www.ntz.info/gen/MapbyName.html
and http://www.ntz.info/gen/n01203.html
Mostly old, and the second link is in date order, so skip to the bottom for
the recent maps..

The most comprehensive map of the Serengeti was made in 1971 but is
out-of-date and inaccurate for roads. http://www.ntz.info/gen/b00044.html
It was done by a Serengeti Researcher, and I am sure that by now there are
many private GPS assisted maps of the Serengeti, developed by various
research groups and other individuals. For example I know of one showing
all the tracks in the Seronera area.

Best overview map of the area is the aviation map
http://www.ntz.info/gen/b00685.html, but don't trust it for roads, and Lake
Ndutu is in the wrong place.

Ndutu Lodge have their own accurate map for roads near them
http://www.ntz.info/gen/b00411.html

More recently someone has been driving round with a GPS and publishing good
maps. The most relevant for you is the Ngorongoro map which covers lots of
the
Southern Plains. http://www.ntz.info/gen/b00489.html. Roads were accurate as
at 1998/99, but local tracks in the parks are not always shown, are often
rerouted, and sometimes impassable. At least one lodge is marked in the
wrong place, but apart from that it's an excellent map. You can get it
online at Stanfords
http://www.stanfords.co.uk/mapdetail...087&loc_id=572

There is also a Manyara map, and rumours of others, including the Serengeti,
but I haven't come across them yet - check with the publishers
Harms-Ic-Verlag.

Most advice says hire a car with a driver - they will have the local
knowledge. (and it may even be cheaper than self-drive).

For self-drive I think the only outfit in Arusha is Fortes
http://www.fortescarhire.com/index.htm. Locals speak well of them, and they
provide backup cars to some operators when they are busy. Make sure you
have a means of getting help (working radio, plus someone to call) if you
get totally stuck, or breakdown.

Self drive in Northern Tanzania is not like driving in South Africa, or even
Kenya. Few non-locals do it, but if you are on top of the risks, you will
have a great time.

David

ps if you come across good/better maps, please let me know.

"cc" wrote in message
Hi!

Anyone got good suggestions for DETAILED road maps of the Serengeti,
especially I'm interested in the southern plains.

Also anybody got any good rental companies for self-drives? Any good/bad
experiences? Only interested in rentals out of Arusha, not stopping on the
Kenyan side this time.

Please post to news group.

-Paal