Old June 8th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Tchiowa

Default Advice re hotels in BKK please...

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message ...
"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message

At the moment I'm staying in the Grace Hotel on Sukhimvit Soi 3 for 930

baht
per night (about US$23). It's very clean and well-maintained, well located
(5 minutes' walk to skytrain), probably what I'd call a 3-star. I cannot
imagine what I could get for more money that would be worth the additional
expense.

The best value rooms are typically those with minimum services in a
relatively new hotel.

Depends on how you define "value". For some people, lack of
cockroaches is a luxury, for others it is a necessity and worth
something.

In fancy hotels one must pay for a dazzling facade,
three swimming pools, ten restaurants and bars, room service, and ashtrays
in halls in which the name of the hotel is written on sand, gyms and so on.

Very true. For some people that's of no value. For others it's part of
why they go on vacation, to relax and live "the life of Riley" for a
bit.

You do so even if you do not use these facilities. In Thailand one typically
can get a room by 1000 when a "rack price" is something like 2500-4000.

Again, true. But I hope you weren't trying to imply that applied to my
statement of "over $100". For instance, a suite on the Executive Level
at JWM has a rack rate of $300/night last time I checked, but I get if
for around $120.

*NOBODY* pays rack rate. It's just there so that the hotel can pretend
you have a good deal.