Old January 17th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Bob Myers

"koneko" wrote in message
oups.com...

This sounds sort of neat! My only question... is it a bit... stinky?

Not at all! FRESH fish does not have that unpleasant "fishy" smell,
and you won't find it any fresher than here. Be sure to wear good
walking shoes that will be able to cope with wet surfaces, though, as
there is a lot of water and ice around. This is, to me, a must-see that
is somewhat off the usual tourist trail.

I would also put the Meiji Shrine somewhere into the plan as well.

Can you tell me why you like this site better than the Imperial Palace?

Well, for one thing, the shrine itself is at the end of a fairly long and
peaceful walk through a woods (you'll have a hard time believing
you're still in the middle of a big city!), and unlike the Palace you
actually get to go into the grounds and walk in and around the
temple buildings. The Meiji Shrine is also often the site for various
community events - when I was last there, a flower show was in
progress, just for one example. Check the local calendars or with
the concierge at your hotel to see if there's anything interesting scheduled
while you are there. I would also be more willing to skip the Palace if,
like you, I knew I was going to be in Kyoto soon anyway, and could
see the palace and castle that are there instead.

Bob M.