Old December 11th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Liz

In message .com
"Joel" wrote:

Day 8 - 4-5 nights in the Masa Marai area. I'd like to work the whole
triangle if possible. Perhaps 2 nights in two separate lodges.

doubtfulThat might be a good idea/doubtful, or else find out where the
migration is liable to be when you're there and stay at (one of the) the
lodge(s) in the centre of that area (that's what I'd do, unless I was
'passing through', like when we were coming down from Rusinga Island. The
areas where the migration isn't can be disappointingly empty, though there
are always birds, if you know where to look.)

Otherwise, if you're interested in birds, it might be worth staying for a
couple of nights at Little Governor's Camp (I think that's the right one:
it's one of the Governor's properties) which has its own 'swamp' which often
seems to turn up birds which aren't easily seen elsewhere.

When you get your quotation, be sure to use the magic words "driver/guide
and vehicle at our disposal". That means you chan choose when you go out on
drives. The usual 'brochure' safari has two drives, one before breakfast,
one late afternoon, but with 'driver and vehicle at your disposal' you can
set the pace: either have an extra morning drive after breakfast, or have an
early breakfast at your lodge/camp take a packed lunch from the camp (you
driver/guide can get one too) and stay out all day.
Or of course if you want to laze about in camp or go a bird walk or nature
walk with the lodge naturallist, then you can do that instead. (I try to
swim before lunch and catch up with cleaning my equipment, siesta etc just
after lunch.)

Otherwise, what is on your itinerary is (generally) what you get, without
negotiation (or at extra cost).

Don't imagine for a moment that this will be your only trip to Africa.
"Africa bites, and when she bites, she won't let go."
After our first safari, we arrived back in the early morning after an
overnight trip following a long delay, and I was phoning companies for
brochures and suggestions for the next year within half an hour of getting
home!

So many people posting to the group for 'first trips' have a very similar
experience.

Safari njema

Liz

--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos