Old April 26th, 2006, 02:17 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Is Zanzibar safe?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am thinking of taking a honeymoon to Tanzania (game park+Zanzibar
combo), but just read the State Dept. website and it does not sound too
safe for Americans to go there (esp. Zanzibar). Can anyone comment on
this who knows this area better? Thanks so much, Doug.

I was there about a year ago, coming from the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Read the State Department warning for Kinshasa if you want to know how
seriously I take those State Dept warnings. :-)

Seriously; the warnings are meant as deterrants to those who are deterred.
Zanz was absolutely magical, we felt completely and utterly safe, and saw
many many other tourists on our trip. If you have travelled outside the US
before, then you know about having a modicum of 'street smarts'....not
paranoia but legitimate world-wisdom. AFAIK, there is no greater risk to
being in Stone Town or the rest of the island than there is in any suburb of
a major US city.

My guess is the State warning is because of the general paranoia surrounding
terrorism in the world in general. I don't believe there are any hard
targets in Zanzibar, or any specific threat.

--riverman