Old April 27th, 2006, 03:49 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Is Zanzibar safe?

My daughter just phoned this morning from Zanzibar. She has a few weeks off
and travelled to Nairobi, Mombassa, Dar es Salem and now Zanzibar. This is
the place she likes the best so far. In Kenya she got really tired of the
hucksters who followed her around trying to pitch their tours. There was
much less sales pressure Tanzania. She is having a great time in Zanzibar,
getting lost in Stone City and visiting the beautiful beaches. She says the
turquoise and magenta colours of the ocean and absolutely fantastic. We are
going to visit her in August and she and my wife are already planning a trip
to Dar es Salem and Zanzibar during the two weeks she arrives before I get
there. I think I heard them mention something about looking for Tanzanite
jewellery.

My daughter is quite travel wise, having back packed though much of South
America and southern Africa so she knows how to avoid trouble. She seems to
feel quite comfortable with Zanzibar.

Scott
Kelowna, Canada

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am thinking of taking a honeymoon to Tanzania (game park+Zanzibar
combo), but just read the State Dept. website and it does not sound too
safe for Americans to go there (esp. Zanzibar). Can anyone comment on
this who knows this area better? Thanks so much, Doug.